Rep. Nancy Mace was invited to a town hall, but declined. Voters wonder: Is she listening to us?
Byrd reported on a March 28 Mount Pleasant town hall attended by 200-plus constituents, with Mace's chair sitting empty after she declined the invitation, calling organizers 'paid agitators.' The story framed a pattern of constituent avoidance.
Caitlin Byrd ·

"None of us are getting paid. We're all just concerned Americans, and we deserve the same respect you give your MAGA base."
, Allan Morris, Mount Pleasant resident, at the March 28 town hall
Caitlin Byrd reported for the Post and Courier on a March 28, 2025 town hall in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, Mace's home district, where more than 200 constituents gathered while Mace's invited seat sat empty. Mace had declined the invitation and described the organizers as "paid agitators."
Byrd documented who was actually in the room. Mount Pleasant Town Councilwoman Guang Ming Whitley attended and told the reporter:
"Citizens are tired of calling her office and submitting questions and making requests and not receiving substantive responses."
Attendee Emily Collins pushed back on Mace's characterization:
"Our Congress people are adults. They should be able to take a little bit of negative criticism."
The story established a factual baseline: the town hall was organized by unpaid constituents, attended by local elected officials, and Mace's own office had not provided substantive responses to constituent inquiries. The "paid agitators" framing, offered without evidence, became a focal point of the follow-up coverage.
Ten days later, Mace posted a video calling constituents who had been contacting her office "ugly" and "hateful", prompting Jezebel and other outlets to cover her response as a second-cycle story.
Related coverage

Read next
April 8, 2025 · DispatchNancy Mace Calls Her Constituents 'Ugly,' 'Nasty,' Doubles Down on Refusing Town Hall
After refusing to attend a March 2025 town hall in her district, Mace posted a video calling constituents who had been calling her office 'ugly,' 'hateful,' and 'nasty.' The comments were widely condemned as contemptuous of her own voters.
June 10, 2026 · DispatchAfter Mace's gubernatorial primary loss: what comes next?
The Post and Courier reports on Nancy Mace's fifth-place finish in the South Carolina Republican gubernatorial primary and what it means for her political future. The piece notes that Mace gave up her 1st District House seat to run for governor and has said she does not plan to seek reelection to Congress, leaving open questions about her next move.
March 2, 2026 · DispatchUS Rep. Nancy Mace accused of misusing taxpayer funds to cover her DC housing and meals
Caitlin Byrd reported the Office of Congressional Conduct found 'substantial reason to believe' Mace improperly claimed nearly $9,500 in excess housing reimbursements tied to her $1.6 million Capitol Hill townhouse, also billing over $9,400 for food. Mace refused to cooperate with the OCC probe; her lawyer called the report 'fundamentally flawed.'